Instead of doing that, Heather spent the night getting drunk on cider, staying up to see the sunrise, then reading her Kindle while alternating between sleeping in the tent and out of it -- polyester prisons can be sweltering and leave you claustrophobic, a condition that festival goers call "tent death." She then realized tears were streaming out of one eye. "Not watering," she says, "proper pouring down my face and really quite sore." She passed out, and when she woke up it was worse. "I looked like I'd been punched in the face, my eye was literally swollen shut."
Those are symptoms pretty similar to those of this other British woman, who got an infection from her contacts and ended up losing sight in her eye. Or this woman, or this one, who ended up suing the maker of her contact lens solution. There have actually been a couple lawsuits over eye-gobbling germs popping up in lens solutions.
Heather's friends got her to put some ice on the eye and visit the festival hospital, which wasn't equipped to diagnose something like this. So she headed for the nearest emergency room, where a nurse poured in some dye and then spotted a cut right under where the contact lens sits.
No worries, he said. He went on to explain that the body is very clever and had produced a swelling response to protect the eye. He gave her some antibiotic ointment just in case, said to apply it every few hours, and to keep the lenses out for a week. No harm done.
Whatever relief Heather felt upon hearing this would be short-lived.